Five helpful video games for seniors
May 30, 2012
Aside from setting your loved one up with a medical alert from Bay Alarm, you should increase his or her safety by purchasing a couple of video and computer games. While a medical alarm can offer emergency help at the push of a button, electronic games can help stimulate your relative's mind, strengthen his or her muscles and coordination and offer plenty of fun! Here are five games that might be worth introducing to your loved one.
1. Brain Age. On the portable Nintendo DS system, this game is easy to hold, play and bring anywhere. It has a variety of brain-enhancing activities like memory games, math problems and word puzzles. Once you show your relative how to use the device, he or she will have a blast trying to figure out the details.
2. World of Warcraft. Does your loved one like fantasy? If so, World of Warcraft might be a great game to pick up for the computer. The online role-playing game is rich and exciting, stimulating your loved one's mind and encouraging social interaction with others. It's a great way to pass time on a rainy day.
3. Wii Sports. From bowling to golf to tennis, Wii Sports has it all. Because the Wii system requires players to stay active and move the controllers around a lot, your relative will get plenty of exercise, and have fun doing it! Be sure to set your loved one up with an area that's free of obstacles, which could get in the way during play.
4. Tetris. Whether played online, on a video gaming system or on a smartphone, Tetris is a classic way to improve someone's thinking skills. The fast pace requires quick thinking and lots of hand-eye coordination, which is perfect for sharpening seniors' skills. Teach your relative the controls, then watch as he or she gets stacking!
5. Gran Turismo. If your loved one likes to drive but can no longer get safely behind the wheel, a racing game like this might be just the thing. Not only will it be fun, but it will enhance your relative's skills and keep his or her mind sharp. Gran Turismo is one of the most realistic racing games on the market, without a lot of the unnecessary bells and whistles that other games come with.